Tuesday, January 19, 2010

2010 Goals

Goals work better when you commit to them, and to help with that, I'm posting my 2010 photography goals.

Last year started my transition from enthusiastic amateur to beginning professional. This included more portrait shooting, both locally and internationally, the start of my website, printing of business cards and an overall gear upgrade.

The theme for this year's goals is building on last year and overcoming creative fears. There are still some things that I am nervous about shooting or organising to shoot. Having successfully shot a wedding solo, I am comfortable about being able to capture events. I still worry about putting together planned concept shoots.

  • Take more photographic risks – try things I'm not confident with, things that may fail, or new styles of photography. If I play it safe, my photographic vision will stagnate.

  • Start a project – to date my portrait work has been one-off shoots. This year I want to start one or more longer term projects with thematic links. My criteria for a project is that it will excite me enough to carry forward and that there is potential for an interesting photo book to result.

  • Organise more shoots – not only setup more opportunities, but also expand on the size of shoots to include stronger themes, more preparation and to include make-up, styling and studio work.

  • Expand my marketing – my website is not much more than an online business card and needs to be expanded with galleries and more photos. I also intend to blog more and to keep my Facebook page updated.

This year started with a relaxing holiday through Europe and a week away camping. I find myself refreshed from last year and full of energy for the year ahead. Bring it on!

Paris, from the Eiffel Tower

No comments:

Post a Comment